On June 19, 2018, the Department of Justice sent ato Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton requesting answers to questions about Texas' pending request for certification for purposes of obtaining the benefits of Chapter 154 of Title 28. The questions were based largely on comments submitted in response to the Texas application. There is no specific due date for the response.
On March 20, 2018, the Supreme Court granted a stay of execution to Missouri death row inmate Russell Bucklew pending the disposition of his certiorari petition. The Chief Justice and Justices Thomas, Alito and Gorsuch would have denied the stay application. Bucklew's cert petition raises the following questions: (1) Should a court evaluating an as-applied challenge to a state’s method of execution based on an inmate’s rare and severe medical condition assume that medical personnel are competent to manage his condition and that the procedure will go as intended? (2) Must evidence comparing a state’s
On March 21, 2018, the Supreme Court issued its decision in Ayestas v. Davis, 584 U.S. ___ (March 21, 2018). This case concerns the denial of funding to a habeas petitioner. The Supreme Court assumes, without deciding, that a COA is required to appeal the denial of funds and finds that the rule applied by the district court in denying funding was not only debatable but actually erroneous. It further finds that the district court’s ruling on the funding request was not an administrative decision such that the court of appeals and the Supreme Court lacked jurisdiction to hear the appeal. Turning to the merits, the Supreme Court held that the lower courts applied the wrong legal standard when denying petitioner funds under 18 U.S.C. §3599(f). The statute authorizes funding that is “reasonably necessary” for the representation of an applicant. The Fifth Circuit’s requirement that an applicant establish a “substantial need” for the funding was arguably more demanding than the statute requires. The Fifth Circuit exacerbated the problem by invoking precedent that a habeas petitioner seeking funding must present “a viable constitutional claim that is not procedurally barred.” This precedent is too restrictive
On February 23, 2018, a complaint and request for injunctive relief was filed in the United States District Court for the District of Columbia, Texas Defender Service, et al. v. Sessions, et al., 1:18-cv-00426-RBW. This action under the Administrative Procedure Act,, 5 U.S.C. §§
551-59, 701-06, seeks injunctive and other relief to set aside the Final Rule regarding Certification Process For State Capital Counsel System, 78 Fed. Reg. 58,160-01 (Sept. 23, 2013), issued by the Department of Justice. Various comments challenging the applications of Arizona and Texas seeking certification as compliant with Chapter 154 have been submitted to the Department of Justice.
On February 26, 2018, the United States Supreme Court granted certiorari review in Madison v. Alabama, 17-7505.
The preamble to the questions presented explains: On January 25, 2018, the State seeks for the second time to execute Vernon Madison, a 67-year-old man who has been on Alabama’s death row for over 30 years. Mr. Madison suffers from vascular dementia as a result of multiple serious strokes in the last two years, and no longer has a memory of the commission of the crime for which he is to be executed. His mind and body are failing: he suffers from encephalomacia (dead brain tissue), small vesselischemia, speaks in a dysarthric or slurred manner, is legally blind, can no longer walk independently, and has urinary incontinence as a consequence of damage to his brain.
Pre-owned: An item that has been used or worn previously. See the seller’s listing for full details and ... Read moreabout the condition
|US Shoe Size (Men's):||11|
On November 16, 2017, the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals reversed the district court's denial of relief on Virginia death row inmate Anthony Juniper's Brady claim and remanded for an evidentiary hearing. Juniper v. Zook, ___ F.3d ___ (4th Cir. Nov.
On November 16, 2017, the Department of Justice published in the Federal Register a notice advising the public that the State of Arizona has by the Attorney General and that public comments may be submitted to the Department of Justice regarding Arizona's request. Also on November 16, 2017, the Department of Jusice published in the Federal Register a
In Kirkpatrick v. Chappell, ___ F.3d ___ (9th Cir. Oct. 10. 2017), the majority of a three-judge panel reversed the district court's ruling that certain claims in William Kirkpatrick's federal habeas petition were unexhausted and, therefore, subject to dismissal.
In a pre-AEDPA case, Eric Kimble received habeas relief, on a claim, inter alia, of ineffective assistance of counsel at the penalty phase of Kimble's capital trial. , 2:90-cv-04826-SVW (Order Granting in Part Petition for Writ of Habeas Corpus - June 19, 2017).
We have new software for capdefnet.org that we believe will improve the usefulness of the site to the capital defense community. Please bear with us as we work through the glitches. Persons who had accounts for HAT's secure page should have received instructions for obtaining a password using the new software. Apologies for the lack of advance warnings. Please report any problems or concerns to Wendy Peoples.
- NIKE AIR MAGMA Vintage Sneakers 2012 Black Suede Mountain shoes size US 9 Y08A
- NIKE Kids Downshifter 8 PS Wolf Grey MTLC Dark Grey Black Size 3
- Nike Lab Hyperchase x Fragment Design SP SZ 8.5 ROUGH GREEN BLACK 789486-300
- DS NIKE 2015 AIR MAX 90 PEDRO LOURENCE HEMP M 10 WMN 11.5 ATMOS PATTA 1 PLUS
- Nike Air Jordan Retro 11 Gamma Size 11.5 VNDS 100% Authentic With Box
- Nike Lunarlon Hyperdunk 2012 Basketball shoes 524934-301 Crystal Green -12 Mens
- Adidas men Sportschuhe Weiss Groesse 18 US 52 EU
- Puma Mens Hybrid Nx Trainers Athletic Training shoes Sneakers Sport Footwear
- Asics Gel Kayano 23 Mens Running shoes (D) (9093)
- Nike Air Force 1 Ultraforce Leathr Sneakers Navy - Mens - Size 8 D
- WMNS NIKE PRESTO FLY PINK AND Purple RUNNING SHOES ( 910569 101 ) SIZE 7
- New Mens Adidas Geofit Basketball shoes Size 15
- Adidas Deerupt Runner Womens AC8466 Solar Red blueebird Running shoes Size 10.5
- shoes Lifestyle Retro 90s New Balance Hombre
- 189.99 Puma x Fenty Rihanna Women Ankle Strap Sneaker black white 366264-03
- Nike Off White The TEN Zoom Fly Tulip Racer Pink AJ4588-600 8-10.5 Virgil Abloh
- Nike Zoom Kiger 4 orange Teal Men's Trail Running Size 10 New in Box 880563 800
- Nike Dualtone Premium Racer Grey White Men Sneakers 924448-001 Size 9.5,10 shoes
- Nike SB Zoom Dunk High TR QS BRED Rivals Men Size 12 (AJ7730-001) DS
- Nike SBs Zoom Stefan Janoski Sz 9
- Nike Air Max 2009 Men's Size 9 jaquard
- NIKE TANJUN SHOES 812654-011 BLACK WHITE MEN'S SIZE 7.5
- 2018 WMNS Nike Air Max 97 SZ 7.5 Black Igloo 921733-012
- Adidas Men's Tubular Doom Sock Snakers BY3565 SIZE 10 NEW IN THE BOX
- NIKE ZOOM KOBE VI 6 ALL STAR 3D HOLLYWOOD 448693-001 bhm prelude grinch supreme
- Nike pg 3 size 16
- Nike Air Max LTD 3 Black White-Cool Grey BV1171 001 Mens Running shoes
- Adidas Men's Gazelle Stitch and Turn Fitness shoes bluee (Reauni Ftwbla 000)
- New Balance MRL996 Baskets Beige F112
- Puma Vikky Ribbon P, Womens Low-Top Sneakers, Black Black Black, 8.5 E
- Nike Free Tr. Force Flyknit 833275-001 Lifestyle shoes Jogging Sneakers
- Nike KD VI Elite gold Size 13 Good Condition
- Nike Kd N7 sz 14
- Nike Air max ladies size 5 athletic shoes
- DS Adidas Yeezy 500 Desert Rat Super Moon Yellow sz 9.5 or 10
- Adidas Adizero Tempo Boost 9 Mens Running shoes - Green
- Adidas Neo City Racer Originals STAN SMITH Superstar Womens shoes 7 7.5 AW4950
- 2005 Nike Dunk SB Low Stussy size 10 khaki pink vanilla TRUSTED SELLER
- Nike Air Jordan Jumpman Team II University Red blueee White 820273 604 110 KE
- Men 9Us Nike Sb Zoom Janoski Ht Decon
- Jordan DNA White Pure Platinum Wolf Gre Men's Trainers Limited Stock All Sizes
- AIR JORDAN 3 RETRO SE AWOK NRG VOGUE ANNA WINTOUR SZ 10.5-MENS SZ 9 [BQ3195-001]
- New Nike Coast Classic Canvas Mens Athletic shoes 443687-022 Size 10
- New MENS PUMA BLACK SUEDE ANR Sneakers Retro
- ASICS New Men's TARTHER JAPAN Road Running shoes Red color - Authentic
- 1 of 4
- next ›