On June 19, 2018, the Department of Justice sent ato Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton requesting answers to questions about Texas' pending request for certification for purposes of obtaining the benefits of Chapter 154 of Title 28. The questions were based largely on comments submitted in response to the Texas application. There is no specific due date for the response.
On March 20, 2018, the Supreme Court granted a stay of execution to Missouri death row inmate Russell Bucklew pending the disposition of his certiorari petition. The Chief Justice and Justices Thomas, Alito and Gorsuch would have denied the stay application. Bucklew's cert petition raises the following questions: (1) Should a court evaluating an as-applied challenge to a state’s method of execution based on an inmate’s rare and severe medical condition assume that medical personnel are competent to manage his condition and that the procedure will go as intended? (2) Must evidence comparing a state’s
On March 21, 2018, the Supreme Court issued its decision in Ayestas v. Davis, 584 U.S. ___ (March 21, 2018). This case concerns the denial of funding to a habeas petitioner. The Supreme Court assumes, without deciding, that a COA is required to appeal the denial of funds and finds that the rule applied by the district court in denying funding was not only debatable but actually erroneous. It further finds that the district court’s ruling on the funding request was not an administrative decision such that the court of appeals and the Supreme Court lacked jurisdiction to hear the appeal. Turning to the merits, the Supreme Court held that the lower courts applied the wrong legal standard when denying petitioner funds under 18 U.S.C. §3599(f). The statute authorizes funding that is “reasonably necessary” for the representation of an applicant. The Fifth Circuit’s requirement that an applicant establish a “substantial need” for the funding was arguably more demanding than the statute requires. The Fifth Circuit exacerbated the problem by invoking precedent that a habeas petitioner seeking funding must present “a viable constitutional claim that is not procedurally barred.” This precedent is too restrictive
On February 23, 2018, a complaint and request for injunctive relief was filed in the United States District Court for the District of Columbia, Texas Defender Service, et al. v. Sessions, et al., 1:18-cv-00426-RBW. This action under the Administrative Procedure Act,, 5 U.S.C. §§
551-59, 701-06, seeks injunctive and other relief to set aside the Final Rule regarding Certification Process For State Capital Counsel System, 78 Fed. Reg. 58,160-01 (Sept. 23, 2013), issued by the Department of Justice. Various comments challenging the applications of Arizona and Texas seeking certification as compliant with Chapter 154 have been submitted to the Department of Justice.
On February 26, 2018, the United States Supreme Court granted certiorari review in Madison v. Alabama, 17-7505.
The preamble to the questions presented explains: On January 25, 2018, the State seeks for the second time to execute Vernon Madison, a 67-year-old man who has been on Alabama’s death row for over 30 years. Mr. Madison suffers from vascular dementia as a result of multiple serious strokes in the last two years, and no longer has a memory of the commission of the crime for which he is to be executed. His mind and body are failing: he suffers from encephalomacia (dead brain tissue), small vesselischemia, speaks in a dysarthric or slurred manner, is legally blind, can no longer walk independently, and has urinary incontinence as a consequence of damage to his brain.
|Condition:||Pre-owned : |
An item that has been used or worn previously. See the seller’s listing for full details and description of any imperfections.See all condition definitions- opens in a new window or tab
|Seller Notes:||“Condition: 8/10 simply because I have worn them. They are in excellent condition. But please see all pictures and make the determination yourself. Your perception maybe different then mine.”|
|Material:||FLYWIRE / FABRIC / LEATHER|
|US Shoe Size (Men's):||10||Pattern:||Solid|
|Width:||Medium (D, M)||Country/Region of Manufacture:||Unknown|
On November 16, 2017, the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals reversed the district court's denial of relief on Virginia death row inmate Anthony Juniper's Brady claim and remanded for an evidentiary hearing. Juniper v. Zook, ___ F.3d ___ (4th Cir. Nov.
On November 16, 2017, the Department of Justice published in the Federal Register a notice advising the public that the State of Arizona has by the Attorney General and that public comments may be submitted to the Department of Justice regarding Arizona's request. Also on November 16, 2017, the Department of Jusice published in the Federal Register a
In Kirkpatrick v. Chappell, ___ F.3d ___ (9th Cir. Oct. 10. 2017), the majority of a three-judge panel reversed the district court's ruling that certain claims in William Kirkpatrick's federal habeas petition were unexhausted and, therefore, subject to dismissal.
In a pre-AEDPA case, Eric Kimble received habeas relief, on a claim, inter alia, of ineffective assistance of counsel at the penalty phase of Kimble's capital trial. , 2:90-cv-04826-SVW (Order Granting in Part Petition for Writ of Habeas Corpus - June 19, 2017).
We have new software for capdefnet.org that we believe will improve the usefulness of the site to the capital defense community. Please bear with us as we work through the glitches. Persons who had accounts for HAT's secure page should have received instructions for obtaining a password using the new software. Apologies for the lack of advance warnings. Please report any problems or concerns to Wendy Peoples.
- Nike air max 97 undefeated size 13 white green black undftd AJ1986-100 sz 13 new
- New Nike Men's Zoom KD 9 PRM Basketball shoes Black-Hot Punch 881796-060
- Nike 136027-602 Air Jordan 5 Red Retro Size 15
- NIKE AIR MAX 97 BW DEEP ROYAL blueE-BLACK USA OLYMPIC AO2406-400 Sz 11.5
- Adidas Crazylight Boost Low 2016 James Harden Houston Rockets PE Sz 14 White Red
- Adidas DURAMO 9 BB7646 black shoes men Sneakers Running Sportive
- PUMA x FUBU Tsugi Jun shoes Sneakers High Risk Red Black 36744001 Mens Size 9
- Vans sk8hi mens 10, cowboy,new in box
- MENS SNEAKERS MYSTERIES BOX
- NIKE AIR MAX 1 PATTA CORDUROY DENIM SZ 8.5 Men 10 Women
- Nike Air Jordan [554724-024] Size 10.5 Black Red shoes
- NIKE AIR HUARACHE RUN TXT TEXTILE BLEACHED purpleC WOMEN'S SZ 10 818597-500 PRM
- Adidas CF Swift Racer Men’s Size 12 Black Black DB0679 NEW Free S H
- ADIDAS ORIGINALS PRO MODEL BT B39507 COLLEGIATE NAVY blueE OFF WHITE GUM SOLE
- AIR JORDAN 11 RETRO 25.5cm from japan (3030
- Nike Air Lebron 2 slides Elite Airmax Size 13 sandals 578251-350 New no Box
- New Balance MA900GY Men's Sport Slip 900 Grey Slip On Walking shoes
- Puma Ignite Dual Netfit Wns Ladies Black Trainers Size 5(38) Brand New & Boxed
- Air Max 90 1 White Metallic gold-Black AJ7695-102 Men's Size 9
- NIKE AIR MAX LUNAR90 LUNAR 90 LTR QS SZ 8 SUPER RARE [705001-200]
- Nike Air Presto Mid Acronym - Dynamic Yellow - AH7832 100 size 5
- NEW Nike Zoom Command College Tennessee Volunteers UT shoes Men's Size 14
- Nike Men's Initiator Running shoes
- Nike Air Jordan 1 Retro High OG NRG Patent gold Toe 100% Authentic size 11 DS
- Nike Classics Cortez Leather Womens Style 807471 WHITE BLACK-WHITE Size 7
- Adidas Crazy Explosive Boost Collegiate Navy bluee BY3773 Men’s Size 11.5
- Adidas Original Mens I- 5923 shoes White Navy Burgundy Sz 10
- New Balance Dover Street Market KITH DVSM 574 Triple Black 10 Multicolor
- Asics Men's Gel Kayano Evo Mesh Running Rubber Sole shoes Carbon Grey White
- NIB Men's Nike Air Lebron Witness III High Top Basketball shoes Multiple colors
- Nike Air Max Zero Essential 876070 100 Size 11.5
- Nike Air Vapormax FK Flyknit Utility Black Gridiron Pink Sneakers Mens Size 10
- Nike Air More Uptempo '96 QS Night Maroon DS New Size 12 921949-600 + Receipt
- Nike Jordan Trainer Essential Men's Sneakers, Size 13, 888122 001
- Nike Women's Air Force 1 '07 SE PRM Beige Silver White AH6827-200 NEW
- Adidas Yeezy Boost 750 Light Brown Chocolate Gum Size 10
- 1 of 4
- next ›