On June 19, 2018, the Department of Justice sent ato Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton requesting answers to questions about Texas' pending request for certification for purposes of obtaining the benefits of Chapter 154 of Title 28. The questions were based largely on comments submitted in response to the Texas application. There is no specific due date for the response.
On March 20, 2018, the Supreme Court granted a stay of execution to Missouri death row inmate Russell Bucklew pending the disposition of his certiorari petition. The Chief Justice and Justices Thomas, Alito and Gorsuch would have denied the stay application. Bucklew's cert petition raises the following questions: (1) Should a court evaluating an as-applied challenge to a state’s method of execution based on an inmate’s rare and severe medical condition assume that medical personnel are competent to manage his condition and that the procedure will go as intended? (2) Must evidence comparing a state’s
On March 21, 2018, the Supreme Court issued its decision in Ayestas v. Davis, 584 U.S. ___ (March 21, 2018). This case concerns the denial of funding to a habeas petitioner. The Supreme Court assumes, without deciding, that a COA is required to appeal the denial of funds and finds that the rule applied by the district court in denying funding was not only debatable but actually erroneous. It further finds that the district court’s ruling on the funding request was not an administrative decision such that the court of appeals and the Supreme Court lacked jurisdiction to hear the appeal. Turning to the merits, the Supreme Court held that the lower courts applied the wrong legal standard when denying petitioner funds under 18 U.S.C. §3599(f). The statute authorizes funding that is “reasonably necessary” for the representation of an applicant. The Fifth Circuit’s requirement that an applicant establish a “substantial need” for the funding was arguably more demanding than the statute requires. The Fifth Circuit exacerbated the problem by invoking precedent that a habeas petitioner seeking funding must present “a viable constitutional claim that is not procedurally barred.” This precedent is too restrictive
On February 23, 2018, a complaint and request for injunctive relief was filed in the United States District Court for the District of Columbia, Texas Defender Service, et al. v. Sessions, et al., 1:18-cv-00426-RBW. This action under the Administrative Procedure Act,, 5 U.S.C. §§
551-59, 701-06, seeks injunctive and other relief to set aside the Final Rule regarding Certification Process For State Capital Counsel System, 78 Fed. Reg. 58,160-01 (Sept. 23, 2013), issued by the Department of Justice. Various comments challenging the applications of Arizona and Texas seeking certification as compliant with Chapter 154 have been submitted to the Department of Justice.
On February 26, 2018, the United States Supreme Court granted certiorari review in Madison v. Alabama, 17-7505.
The preamble to the questions presented explains: On January 25, 2018, the State seeks for the second time to execute Vernon Madison, a 67-year-old man who has been on Alabama’s death row for over 30 years. Mr. Madison suffers from vascular dementia as a result of multiple serious strokes in the last two years, and no longer has a memory of the commission of the crime for which he is to be executed. His mind and body are failing: he suffers from encephalomacia (dead brain tissue), small vesselischemia, speaks in a dysarthric or slurred manner, is legally blind, can no longer walk independently, and has urinary incontinence as a consequence of damage to his brain.
New without box: A brand-new, unused, and unworn item (including handmade items) that is not in original packaging or ... Read moreabout the condition
|Product Line:||Nike Shox|
|Style:||Running, Cross Training||Brand:|
|US Shoe Size (Men's):||6|
On November 16, 2017, the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals reversed the district court's denial of relief on Virginia death row inmate Anthony Juniper's Brady claim and remanded for an evidentiary hearing. Juniper v. Zook, ___ F.3d ___ (4th Cir. Nov.
On November 16, 2017, the Department of Justice published in the Federal Register a notice advising the public that the State of Arizona has by the Attorney General and that public comments may be submitted to the Department of Justice regarding Arizona's request. Also on November 16, 2017, the Department of Jusice published in the Federal Register a
In Kirkpatrick v. Chappell, ___ F.3d ___ (9th Cir. Oct. 10. 2017), the majority of a three-judge panel reversed the district court's ruling that certain claims in William Kirkpatrick's federal habeas petition were unexhausted and, therefore, subject to dismissal.
In a pre-AEDPA case, Eric Kimble received habeas relief, on a claim, inter alia, of ineffective assistance of counsel at the penalty phase of Kimble's capital trial. , 2:90-cv-04826-SVW (Order Granting in Part Petition for Writ of Habeas Corpus - June 19, 2017).
We have new software for capdefnet.org that we believe will improve the usefulness of the site to the capital defense community. Please bear with us as we work through the glitches. Persons who had accounts for HAT's secure page should have received instructions for obtaining a password using the new software. Apologies for the lack of advance warnings. Please report any problems or concerns to Wendy Peoples.
- NIKE OREGON DUCKS FREE TRAINER 7.0 V3 PLAYER EXCLUSIVE PROMO SAMPLE CARBON FIBER
- Nike MEN'S Dunk High Premium SB blueeE OX FAMILIA SIZE 9.5 Mens Preowned
- Adidas DUBLIN US 6,5 CQ1889 BNWT RARE
- Adidas Originals Men's Superstar ll Sneaker
- Adidas Originals BW Avenue Mens Womens Trainers Lace Up shoes White BZ0504 U40
- PUMA Mens One 17.4 FG Soccer-shoes- Pick SZ color.
- Asics Tiger Hyper Gel-Lyte, Mid Grey Mid Grey
- Nike Air Max 2015 Premium Black Total orange 749373 008 REACT PRESTO PEGASUS
- Nike Air Zoom Huarache 2K4 Kobe Final All Star Game Men's 10.5 White 308475-100
- Nike Foamposite One Night Maroon 314996 601 Size 12 Wine Bourdeaux Jordan VII I
- NIKE AIR MAX SEQUENT 3 RUNNING SHOES 921694 300 SEQUOIA SUMMIT WHITE
- New Nike Mens Prime Hype DF Basketball shoes 683705-002 sz 10 Black
- Adidas X Palace Pro 2 Off White Solar orange Size 8
- ADIDAS Roundhouse Mid 2.0 White Navy bluee Red Basketball shoes NEW Mens Sz 13
- Adidas Womens ULTRABOOST X Clear Grey Mid Grey Dark Grey Heather - BB1695
- NEW BALANCE MEN'S MW928 BR3 BROWN WALKING SHOE V3 EXTRA WIDE 4E NEW IN BOX
- Asics Gel-Nimbus 20 Black Running shoes Men's US 8.5 Eur 42 (M2,7)
- Nike Air JORDAN 4 308497 089 Cement 2012 Penny 1 2 3 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 13 14
- Vintage nike land shark high football cleats shoes men's size 10 NIB NOS 1994
- NIKE Air Force 1 Low A Moon Landing Particle Indigo bluee AQ0556-200 Size 7
- Nike Air Max 90 Essential Purple Men Size 12 NIB 537384 500
- Nike Mens x Concepts Dunk Low Pro SB Holy Grail Diamond 504750-140
- Nike Air Max 90 Vactech Size 13, Wheat
- NIKE AIR MAX DYNASTY MSL 819150-002 cool grey black-lt crmsn-white Size 10
- Nike Air Force 1 Ricardo Tisci Ultra High Top Sneaker Boot Size 8
- Adidas Superstar 80v Undefeated Bape bluee Camo Used Men's Sz 10 S74775
- Adidas Originals Campus Mens Trainers Lace Up shoes Leather Olive BB0077 Opp M10
- Puma RS 100 SNBK bluee White Black Men SZ 8 - 13
- 1 of 4
- next ›