On June 19, 2018, the Department of Justice sent ato Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton requesting answers to questions about Texas' pending request for certification for purposes of obtaining the benefits of Chapter 154 of Title 28. The questions were based largely on comments submitted in response to the Texas application. There is no specific due date for the response.
On March 20, 2018, the Supreme Court granted a stay of execution to Missouri death row inmate Russell Bucklew pending the disposition of his certiorari petition. The Chief Justice and Justices Thomas, Alito and Gorsuch would have denied the stay application. Bucklew's cert petition raises the following questions: (1) Should a court evaluating an as-applied challenge to a state’s method of execution based on an inmate’s rare and severe medical condition assume that medical personnel are competent to manage his condition and that the procedure will go as intended? (2) Must evidence comparing a state’s
On March 21, 2018, the Supreme Court issued its decision in Ayestas v. Davis, 584 U.S. ___ (March 21, 2018). This case concerns the denial of funding to a habeas petitioner. The Supreme Court assumes, without deciding, that a COA is required to appeal the denial of funds and finds that the rule applied by the district court in denying funding was not only debatable but actually erroneous. It further finds that the district court’s ruling on the funding request was not an administrative decision such that the court of appeals and the Supreme Court lacked jurisdiction to hear the appeal. Turning to the merits, the Supreme Court held that the lower courts applied the wrong legal standard when denying petitioner funds under 18 U.S.C. §3599(f). The statute authorizes funding that is “reasonably necessary” for the representation of an applicant. The Fifth Circuit’s requirement that an applicant establish a “substantial need” for the funding was arguably more demanding than the statute requires. The Fifth Circuit exacerbated the problem by invoking precedent that a habeas petitioner seeking funding must present “a viable constitutional claim that is not procedurally barred.” This precedent is too restrictive
On February 23, 2018, a complaint and request for injunctive relief was filed in the United States District Court for the District of Columbia, Texas Defender Service, et al. v. Sessions, et al., 1:18-cv-00426-RBW. This action under the Administrative Procedure Act,, 5 U.S.C. §§
551-59, 701-06, seeks injunctive and other relief to set aside the Final Rule regarding Certification Process For State Capital Counsel System, 78 Fed. Reg. 58,160-01 (Sept. 23, 2013), issued by the Department of Justice. Various comments challenging the applications of Arizona and Texas seeking certification as compliant with Chapter 154 have been submitted to the Department of Justice.
On February 26, 2018, the United States Supreme Court granted certiorari review in Madison v. Alabama, 17-7505.
The preamble to the questions presented explains: On January 25, 2018, the State seeks for the second time to execute Vernon Madison, a 67-year-old man who has been on Alabama’s death row for over 30 years. Mr. Madison suffers from vascular dementia as a result of multiple serious strokes in the last two years, and no longer has a memory of the commission of the crime for which he is to be executed. His mind and body are failing: he suffers from encephalomacia (dead brain tissue), small vesselischemia, speaks in a dysarthric or slurred manner, is legally blind, can no longer walk independently, and has urinary incontinence as a consequence of damage to his brain.
New with box: A brand-new, unused, and unworn item (including handmade items) in the original packaging (such as ... Read moreabout the condition
|Country/Region of Manufacture:||Vietnam|
|Lining:||Synthetic Leather and Textile||Material:||Leather|
|Product Line:||adidas Originals||Features:||Lace-Up|
|UK Shoe Size (Women's):||Variation||Sole:||Rubber|
|US Shoe Size (Women's):||Variation||Main Colour:||White|
|EUR Shoe Size (Women's):||Variation|
On November 16, 2017, the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals reversed the district court's denial of relief on Virginia death row inmate Anthony Juniper's Brady claim and remanded for an evidentiary hearing. Juniper v. Zook, ___ F.3d ___ (4th Cir. Nov.
On November 16, 2017, the Department of Justice published in the Federal Register a notice advising the public that the State of Arizona has by the Attorney General and that public comments may be submitted to the Department of Justice regarding Arizona's request. Also on November 16, 2017, the Department of Jusice published in the Federal Register a
In Kirkpatrick v. Chappell, ___ F.3d ___ (9th Cir. Oct. 10. 2017), the majority of a three-judge panel reversed the district court's ruling that certain claims in William Kirkpatrick's federal habeas petition were unexhausted and, therefore, subject to dismissal.
In a pre-AEDPA case, Eric Kimble received habeas relief, on a claim, inter alia, of ineffective assistance of counsel at the penalty phase of Kimble's capital trial. , 2:90-cv-04826-SVW (Order Granting in Part Petition for Writ of Habeas Corpus - June 19, 2017).
We have new software for capdefnet.org that we believe will improve the usefulness of the site to the capital defense community. Please bear with us as we work through the glitches. Persons who had accounts for HAT's secure page should have received instructions for obtaining a password using the new software. Apologies for the lack of advance warnings. Please report any problems or concerns to Wendy Peoples.
- NIKE AIR MAX 95 OBSIDIAN MIDNIGHT blueE BLACK 609048 407 Men’s sz 11
- NIKE AIR FORCE 1 LOW A MOON LANDING PARTICLE MOON PARTICLE SZ 9 [AQ0556-200]
- Nike Sb Batman Size 9
- NIKE Men's Free RN Motion FK 2017, Red SIZE 10
- Adidas Originals I-5923 Iniki Runner Black White Gum Mens Size 7.5 9 D97213
- Adidas Women's Stan Smith Fashion Sneakers Running shoes - Choose SZ color
- New Balance 990 color Spectrum North Sea bluee Suede Made In USA SZ ( M990CR2 )
- New Womens Puma Pink Natural Basket Bow Leather Trainers Court Lace Up
- Men 9.5Us Air Jordan1 Retro Low
- Air Jordan 4 Retro Premium - SIZE 8.5 - 819139-010 Pony Hair Croc PRM Pinnacle
- Men's Nike Kobe Bryant Mentality Clearwater bluee Sneakers Sz 11
- NIKE Womens Roshe G AA1851-400 OCEAN BLISS WHITE Womens Size 7.5
- ADIDAS CAMPUS 80'S BW SZ 8.5 BEDWIN AND THE HEART BREAKERS blueE WHITE S75674
- ADIDAS ULTRA BOOST 3.0 CORE BLACK WHITE MEN'S TRAINERS ALL SIZES Ultraboost
- AIR FOAMPOSITE ONE XX DARK NEON ROYAL WHITE-BLACK 895320-500
- Nike Air Zoom Pegasus 34 Men Running shoes blueee 880555-016
- New Balance 574 Graffiti Limited Edition US Sz 11 Running Trainer M574AE
- shoes Puma Basket Heart Safari Wn´s Cream Women
- 2012 Nike Lunar Force 1 DIGI NRG Digital Camo 8.5 US Men 577659-001 BNIB&DS
- Nike Dunk Low Premium SB QS Crawfish Sz 8.5 mid high
- Nike air more uptempo size 10
- NIKE SB ZOOM STEFAN JANOSKI SZ 8 DARK TEAM RED BLACK 333824 603
- Nike Air Size 11.5 Black Sneakers New Mens shoes
- Nike Air Vapormax Part 2 FK OFF-WHITE AA3831 100 Size 10 100% Authentic NO Box
- Nike Women's Wmns Air Max 90 Ultra 2.0 Flyknit, WHITE RACER PINK blueE 881109 103
- Women 8Us Adidas Torsion Strap Sandals Red
- Adidas Women UltraBOOST X Running shoe black BB6162 UK3.5-6.5 03'
- Hypebeast x New Balance MRT580HT Sz 9.5 Earth Exploration Pack MRT580 Rare kith
- VINTAGE ASICS GEL (BROWN SAND BLACK & RED - SIZE 10) ALIFE RONNIE FIEG KITH NEW
- Mens NIKE MERCURIAL VORTEX II TF Pink Football Boots 651649 660
- Mens Nike Air Max 1 Woven - 725232 400 - Midnight Navy Black Trainers
- NIKE Men's Zoom All Out Flyknit sneakers shoes 10 M US
- Nike Air Max 270 Regency Purple AH8050-020 Airmax Running shoes Sneakers NIB
- Nike Benassi JDI Chenille Mens AO2805-800 Guava Ice Bone Slide Sandals Size 11
- NEW Nike AirMax Dominate 942520-602 Basketball shoes Burgundy White MENS SZ 17.5
- Yeezy Boost 350 V2 Bred Size 13
- 1 of 4
- next ›