On June 19, 2018, the Department of Justice sent ato Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton requesting answers to questions about Texas' pending request for certification for purposes of obtaining the benefits of Chapter 154 of Title 28. The questions were based largely on comments submitted in response to the Texas application. There is no specific due date for the response.
On March 20, 2018, the Supreme Court granted a stay of execution to Missouri death row inmate Russell Bucklew pending the disposition of his certiorari petition. The Chief Justice and Justices Thomas, Alito and Gorsuch would have denied the stay application. Bucklew's cert petition raises the following questions: (1) Should a court evaluating an as-applied challenge to a state’s method of execution based on an inmate’s rare and severe medical condition assume that medical personnel are competent to manage his condition and that the procedure will go as intended? (2) Must evidence comparing a state’s
On March 21, 2018, the Supreme Court issued its decision in Ayestas v. Davis, 584 U.S. ___ (March 21, 2018). This case concerns the denial of funding to a habeas petitioner. The Supreme Court assumes, without deciding, that a COA is required to appeal the denial of funds and finds that the rule applied by the district court in denying funding was not only debatable but actually erroneous. It further finds that the district court’s ruling on the funding request was not an administrative decision such that the court of appeals and the Supreme Court lacked jurisdiction to hear the appeal. Turning to the merits, the Supreme Court held that the lower courts applied the wrong legal standard when denying petitioner funds under 18 U.S.C. §3599(f). The statute authorizes funding that is “reasonably necessary” for the representation of an applicant. The Fifth Circuit’s requirement that an applicant establish a “substantial need” for the funding was arguably more demanding than the statute requires. The Fifth Circuit exacerbated the problem by invoking precedent that a habeas petitioner seeking funding must present “a viable constitutional claim that is not procedurally barred.” This precedent is too restrictive
On February 23, 2018, a complaint and request for injunctive relief was filed in the United States District Court for the District of Columbia, Texas Defender Service, et al. v. Sessions, et al., 1:18-cv-00426-RBW. This action under the Administrative Procedure Act,, 5 U.S.C. §§
551-59, 701-06, seeks injunctive and other relief to set aside the Final Rule regarding Certification Process For State Capital Counsel System, 78 Fed. Reg. 58,160-01 (Sept. 23, 2013), issued by the Department of Justice. Various comments challenging the applications of Arizona and Texas seeking certification as compliant with Chapter 154 have been submitted to the Department of Justice.
On February 26, 2018, the United States Supreme Court granted certiorari review in Madison v. Alabama, 17-7505.
The preamble to the questions presented explains: On January 25, 2018, the State seeks for the second time to execute Vernon Madison, a 67-year-old man who has been on Alabama’s death row for over 30 years. Mr. Madison suffers from vascular dementia as a result of multiple serious strokes in the last two years, and no longer has a memory of the commission of the crime for which he is to be executed. His mind and body are failing: he suffers from encephalomacia (dead brain tissue), small vesselischemia, speaks in a dysarthric or slurred manner, is legally blind, can no longer walk independently, and has urinary incontinence as a consequence of damage to his brain.
New with box: A brand-new, unused, and unworn item (including handmade items) in the original packaging (such as ... Read moreabout the condition
|Country/Region of Manufacture:||Vietnam|
|Lining:||Synthetic Leather and Textile||Material:||Leather|
|Product Line:||adidas Originals||Features:||Lace-Up|
|UK Shoe Size (Women's):||Variation||Sole:||Rubber|
|US Shoe Size (Women's):||Variation||Main Colour:||White|
|EUR Shoe Size (Women's):||Variation|
On November 16, 2017, the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals reversed the district court's denial of relief on Virginia death row inmate Anthony Juniper's Brady claim and remanded for an evidentiary hearing. Juniper v. Zook, ___ F.3d ___ (4th Cir. Nov.
On November 16, 2017, the Department of Justice published in the Federal Register a notice advising the public that the State of Arizona has by the Attorney General and that public comments may be submitted to the Department of Justice regarding Arizona's request. Also on November 16, 2017, the Department of Jusice published in the Federal Register a
In Kirkpatrick v. Chappell, ___ F.3d ___ (9th Cir. Oct. 10. 2017), the majority of a three-judge panel reversed the district court's ruling that certain claims in William Kirkpatrick's federal habeas petition were unexhausted and, therefore, subject to dismissal.
In a pre-AEDPA case, Eric Kimble received habeas relief, on a claim, inter alia, of ineffective assistance of counsel at the penalty phase of Kimble's capital trial. , 2:90-cv-04826-SVW (Order Granting in Part Petition for Writ of Habeas Corpus - June 19, 2017).
We have new software for capdefnet.org that we believe will improve the usefulness of the site to the capital defense community. Please bear with us as we work through the glitches. Persons who had accounts for HAT's secure page should have received instructions for obtaining a password using the new software. Apologies for the lack of advance warnings. Please report any problems or concerns to Wendy Peoples.
- NIKE AIR MAX 95 OBSIDIAN MIDNIGHT blueE BLACK 609048 407 Men’s sz 11
- NIKE AIR FORCE 1 LOW A MOON LANDING PARTICLE MOON PARTICLE SZ 9 [AQ0556-200]
- Nike Sb Batman Size 9
- NIKE Men's Free RN Motion FK 2017, Red SIZE 10
- Adidas Originals I-5923 Iniki Runner Black White Gum Mens Size 7.5 9 D97213
- Adidas Women's Stan Smith Fashion Sneakers Running shoes - Choose SZ color
- New Balance 990 color Spectrum North Sea bluee Suede Made In USA SZ ( M990CR2 )
- New Womens Puma Pink Natural Basket Bow Leather Trainers Court Lace Up
- New Nike Air Max 270 - Size 6 - Black Black-Total orange - AH8050-008
- The 10 Nike Air Vapormax FK 9.5
- Nike Flex 2018 RN, Mens Size 10, Black White
- Nike Cortez Classic Leather Metallic Bronze Womens shoes Size 10 807471-990
- Adidas Tubular X Original Mens High Top
- Adidas Men's Energy Boost Tennis shoes Sz 7.AQ2294 bluee Yellow White
- NIB Nike Air Jordan Collezione 20 3 CDP US Size 13 338153 991 Countdown Pack
- Nike Mercurial Vapor 12 Academy Mg M AH7375-070 Fußballschuhe
- Men's Brand New Classic Traditionnels WINTER PEAKS Fashion Sneakers [M990NC2]
- Asics Megasprint Men's Track & Field TTP036-(GN900) Size 11 Green bluee White New
- Nike SF-AF1 Mid Mens High Top shoes Gunsmoke Wolf Grey 917753-007 NEW Size 8
- Nike Air Jordan 1 Mid Black White Size US 18 Men's 554724 038
- NEW Nike Flyknit Racer Multi color 3.0 2016 526628-004 2.0 Grey Tongue Size 12
- Nike Air Max 90 Essential Black White & Red Size 10.5
- Nike Zoom Attero Basketball White Purple Athletic Sneakers shoes Mens 10.5
- 2008 Nike Air Force 1 Supreme I O Slam Jam Optical Pack 14 AF1 TIER 1 TZ 318931-
- NIKE WOMAN FREE HYPERFEEL RUN TRAIL Size 8.0 RED RUNNING NEW
- Brand New Men ADIDAS Promodel Superstar Original Black Metallic shoes S75850 vtg
- ADIDAS ORIGINALS X RAF SIMONS BOUNCE TRAINERS White grey lucid orange
- NIKE SOCK DART 819686-001 black SCARPA men shoes ORIGINALI NIKE SNEAKERS BLACK
- Asics T5B7N color Mosaic bluee Hot Pink Black Women's 9.5 Gore Tex.
- Nike Air Max Flair Men's Running shoes 942236-007 Olive Green - Brand New
- SALE NIKE AIR MAX PLUS QS TN ALL OVER PRINT YELLOW BLACK WHITE NEW 903827 002
- Nike Flyknit Trainer Men's Sizes 8-12 Black White Oreo Kanye 2018 AH8396-005
- Pre-Owned 2014 Nike Air Max 90 Ice QS (718304-001) Black Cool Grey Men Size 9
- Nike Lunar Clipper Turf '17 Baseball Trainers Triple Black 880262-001 Size 11.5
- Nike Air Max 90 Ultra Plush Size 11 Women's Running shoes Copa White 844886 400
- DS Nike Air Jordan 2009 S23 Black Metallic gold Sz 10.5 Original OG xi iii xx3
- 1 of 4
- next ›