On June 19, 2018, the Department of Justice sent ato Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton requesting answers to questions about Texas' pending request for certification for purposes of obtaining the benefits of Chapter 154 of Title 28. The questions were based largely on comments submitted in response to the Texas application. There is no specific due date for the response.
On March 20, 2018, the Supreme Court granted a stay of execution to Missouri death row inmate Russell Bucklew pending the disposition of his certiorari petition. The Chief Justice and Justices Thomas, Alito and Gorsuch would have denied the stay application. Bucklew's cert petition raises the following questions: (1) Should a court evaluating an as-applied challenge to a state’s method of execution based on an inmate’s rare and severe medical condition assume that medical personnel are competent to manage his condition and that the procedure will go as intended? (2) Must evidence comparing a state’s
On March 21, 2018, the Supreme Court issued its decision in Ayestas v. Davis, 584 U.S. ___ (March 21, 2018). This case concerns the denial of funding to a habeas petitioner. The Supreme Court assumes, without deciding, that a COA is required to appeal the denial of funds and finds that the rule applied by the district court in denying funding was not only debatable but actually erroneous. It further finds that the district court’s ruling on the funding request was not an administrative decision such that the court of appeals and the Supreme Court lacked jurisdiction to hear the appeal. Turning to the merits, the Supreme Court held that the lower courts applied the wrong legal standard when denying petitioner funds under 18 U.S.C. §3599(f). The statute authorizes funding that is “reasonably necessary” for the representation of an applicant. The Fifth Circuit’s requirement that an applicant establish a “substantial need” for the funding was arguably more demanding than the statute requires. The Fifth Circuit exacerbated the problem by invoking precedent that a habeas petitioner seeking funding must present “a viable constitutional claim that is not procedurally barred.” This precedent is too restrictive
On February 23, 2018, a complaint and request for injunctive relief was filed in the United States District Court for the District of Columbia, Texas Defender Service, et al. v. Sessions, et al., 1:18-cv-00426-RBW. This action under the Administrative Procedure Act,, 5 U.S.C. §§
551-59, 701-06, seeks injunctive and other relief to set aside the Final Rule regarding Certification Process For State Capital Counsel System, 78 Fed. Reg. 58,160-01 (Sept. 23, 2013), issued by the Department of Justice. Various comments challenging the applications of Arizona and Texas seeking certification as compliant with Chapter 154 have been submitted to the Department of Justice.
On February 26, 2018, the United States Supreme Court granted certiorari review in Madison v. Alabama, 17-7505.
The preamble to the questions presented explains: On January 25, 2018, the State seeks for the second time to execute Vernon Madison, a 67-year-old man who has been on Alabama’s death row for over 30 years. Mr. Madison suffers from vascular dementia as a result of multiple serious strokes in the last two years, and no longer has a memory of the commission of the crime for which he is to be executed. His mind and body are failing: he suffers from encephalomacia (dead brain tissue), small vesselischemia, speaks in a dysarthric or slurred manner, is legally blind, can no longer walk independently, and has urinary incontinence as a consequence of damage to his brain.
New without box: A brand-new, unused, and unworn item (including handmade items) that is not in original packaging or ... Read moreabout the condition
DUNK RETRO QS 850477-001 soft red
|US Shoe Size (Men's):||10.5|
Does not apply
On November 16, 2017, the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals reversed the district court's denial of relief on Virginia death row inmate Anthony Juniper's Brady claim and remanded for an evidentiary hearing. Juniper v. Zook, ___ F.3d ___ (4th Cir. Nov.
On November 16, 2017, the Department of Justice published in the Federal Register a notice advising the public that the State of Arizona has by the Attorney General and that public comments may be submitted to the Department of Justice regarding Arizona's request. Also on November 16, 2017, the Department of Jusice published in the Federal Register a
In Kirkpatrick v. Chappell, ___ F.3d ___ (9th Cir. Oct. 10. 2017), the majority of a three-judge panel reversed the district court's ruling that certain claims in William Kirkpatrick's federal habeas petition were unexhausted and, therefore, subject to dismissal.
In a pre-AEDPA case, Eric Kimble received habeas relief, on a claim, inter alia, of ineffective assistance of counsel at the penalty phase of Kimble's capital trial. , 2:90-cv-04826-SVW (Order Granting in Part Petition for Writ of Habeas Corpus - June 19, 2017).
We have new software for capdefnet.org that we believe will improve the usefulness of the site to the capital defense community. Please bear with us as we work through the glitches. Persons who had accounts for HAT's secure page should have received instructions for obtaining a password using the new software. Apologies for the lack of advance warnings. Please report any problems or concerns to Wendy Peoples.
- RARE Nike Air Jordan shoes 1 Phat Premier Quilt Varsity Red Sz 11.5 375173-600
- Nike Air Jordan 1 KO High OG Mens Size 11.5 shoes Sail Red AJ KO Tan 638471 102
- Nike Lebron 8 Low Sprite Size 12 D.S 100% Authentic MINT
- Adidas Human Race NMD Pharrell BBC Size 13 BRAND NEW
- Adidas Originals Deerupt Runner Parley W Women White Lifestyle New shoes CQ2908
- New Balance Men’s MS574TMB black and white tennis shoes size 10.5d (nb45.5)
- Converse Jack Star HI 27 centimeters mustard mustard gold from japan (1500
- Nike Men's EXP-X14 Running shoes AO1554 200 size 14 New in the box
- Air Jordan Retro 13 XIII Pure Money 100% Authentic 310810-100 Sz 10
- DEADSTOCK Nike Air Force 1 One Plus Low West Indies White Green AF1 624054-111
- Nike Men's Free RN 2018 Running shoes
- Nike Kobe 11 XI Elite Men's Size 8 USA July 4th Independence Day 822675-184
- BRAND NEW YEEZY DESERT RAT 500 Super Moon Yellow Men Size 13 US NEW DB2966
- Adidas Originals Mens Swift Run Running shoes Red Collgiate Burgundy White CG4117
- Adidas Originals Women's Superstar Bounce W
- 597 AAA MARINE MARINE UNGEBLEICHT
- PUMA - FIERCE CAMO TRAINING SHOE SNEAKER SZ 11, RETAIL 100
- Nike Air Jordan 10 OVO Black sneakers Size 9.5 NIB With Receipt From Nike .
- Nike Air Flightposite Mens Legion Green Basketball shoes AO9378 300 Size 9.5
- Nike SFB Jungle 8 Field Boots Men’s Sz 8 Baroque Brown Green 631372 222 size 8
- Nike Air Jordan Retro III 3 International Flight Charity Game Sail Sz 10
- Nike Air Force 1 Premium Just Do It JDI Total orange Black White Mens AR7719-800
- Nike Air Force 1 High 07 STASH '17 - AO9296 100
- Nike Free Trainer 5.0 V6 Men's Running shoes 719922-100 Size 12
- NIke Air Max 97 (Pure Platinum Laser orange-Mid Navy) Women's shoes 921733-015
- NEW ADIDAS MEN'S Size 9 ORIGINALS ZX FLUX RUNNING TRAINING SHOES SNEAKERS
- ADIDAS MENS 10.5 Crazytrain LT M Black bluee White Running SNEAKERS Training
- Men's 990v4 Running shoes, Pigment Red, 8.5 D US
- 1 of 4
- next ›