On June 19, 2018, the Department of Justice sent ato Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton requesting answers to questions about Texas' pending request for certification for purposes of obtaining the benefits of Chapter 154 of Title 28. The questions were based largely on comments submitted in response to the Texas application. There is no specific due date for the response.
On March 20, 2018, the Supreme Court granted a stay of execution to Missouri death row inmate Russell Bucklew pending the disposition of his certiorari petition. The Chief Justice and Justices Thomas, Alito and Gorsuch would have denied the stay application. Bucklew's cert petition raises the following questions: (1) Should a court evaluating an as-applied challenge to a state’s method of execution based on an inmate’s rare and severe medical condition assume that medical personnel are competent to manage his condition and that the procedure will go as intended? (2) Must evidence comparing a state’s
On March 21, 2018, the Supreme Court issued its decision in Ayestas v. Davis, 584 U.S. ___ (March 21, 2018). This case concerns the denial of funding to a habeas petitioner. The Supreme Court assumes, without deciding, that a COA is required to appeal the denial of funds and finds that the rule applied by the district court in denying funding was not only debatable but actually erroneous. It further finds that the district court’s ruling on the funding request was not an administrative decision such that the court of appeals and the Supreme Court lacked jurisdiction to hear the appeal. Turning to the merits, the Supreme Court held that the lower courts applied the wrong legal standard when denying petitioner funds under 18 U.S.C. §3599(f). The statute authorizes funding that is “reasonably necessary” for the representation of an applicant. The Fifth Circuit’s requirement that an applicant establish a “substantial need” for the funding was arguably more demanding than the statute requires. The Fifth Circuit exacerbated the problem by invoking precedent that a habeas petitioner seeking funding must present “a viable constitutional claim that is not procedurally barred.” This precedent is too restrictive
On February 23, 2018, a complaint and request for injunctive relief was filed in the United States District Court for the District of Columbia, Texas Defender Service, et al. v. Sessions, et al., 1:18-cv-00426-RBW. This action under the Administrative Procedure Act,, 5 U.S.C. §§
551-59, 701-06, seeks injunctive and other relief to set aside the Final Rule regarding Certification Process For State Capital Counsel System, 78 Fed. Reg. 58,160-01 (Sept. 23, 2013), issued by the Department of Justice. Various comments challenging the applications of Arizona and Texas seeking certification as compliant with Chapter 154 have been submitted to the Department of Justice.
On February 26, 2018, the United States Supreme Court granted certiorari review in Madison v. Alabama, 17-7505.
The preamble to the questions presented explains: On January 25, 2018, the State seeks for the second time to execute Vernon Madison, a 67-year-old man who has been on Alabama’s death row for over 30 years. Mr. Madison suffers from vascular dementia as a result of multiple serious strokes in the last two years, and no longer has a memory of the commission of the crime for which he is to be executed. His mind and body are failing: he suffers from encephalomacia (dead brain tissue), small vesselischemia, speaks in a dysarthric or slurred manner, is legally blind, can no longer walk independently, and has urinary incontinence as a consequence of damage to his brain.
New with box: A brand-new, unused, and unworn item (including handmade items) in the original packaging (such as ... Read moreabout the condition
|Product Line:||Nike Air Max, Nike Flyknit, Nike VaporMax|
|Width:||Medium (B, M)||Brand:|
Does Not Apply
|Pattern:||Solid||Heel Height:||Flat (0 to 1/2 in.)|
|Shoe Height:||Low Top||Material:||Flyknit|
On November 16, 2017, the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals reversed the district court's denial of relief on Virginia death row inmate Anthony Juniper's Brady claim and remanded for an evidentiary hearing. Juniper v. Zook, ___ F.3d ___ (4th Cir. Nov.
On November 16, 2017, the Department of Justice published in the Federal Register a notice advising the public that the State of Arizona has by the Attorney General and that public comments may be submitted to the Department of Justice regarding Arizona's request. Also on November 16, 2017, the Department of Jusice published in the Federal Register a
In Kirkpatrick v. Chappell, ___ F.3d ___ (9th Cir. Oct. 10. 2017), the majority of a three-judge panel reversed the district court's ruling that certain claims in William Kirkpatrick's federal habeas petition were unexhausted and, therefore, subject to dismissal.
In a pre-AEDPA case, Eric Kimble received habeas relief, on a claim, inter alia, of ineffective assistance of counsel at the penalty phase of Kimble's capital trial. , 2:90-cv-04826-SVW (Order Granting in Part Petition for Writ of Habeas Corpus - June 19, 2017).
We have new software for capdefnet.org that we believe will improve the usefulness of the site to the capital defense community. Please bear with us as we work through the glitches. Persons who had accounts for HAT's secure page should have received instructions for obtaining a password using the new software. Apologies for the lack of advance warnings. Please report any problems or concerns to Wendy Peoples.
- NIke Lebron 9 Miami Hurricanes Size 9.5
- Nike LeBron 12 Soldier Size 9.5 Mens Basketball shoes Brand New Originally 140
- NIKE AIR HUARACHE RUN ID SIZE 10 777330-972
- Men's Nike Air Max 90 Essential Running shoes - Black Dark Grey Chrome Dark Grey
- Adidas Yeezy Boost 700 “Inertia” Size 9.5
- Adidas Original New Forum LO Women Grey White Size 8.5
- New Balance Men's 247 Trainers, Green
- NEW SUPREME VANS SLIP-ON PRO (SKULL PILE) SIZE 9 VN0A347V3FW DS
- Nike Air Zoom Huarache 2K4 FT Mamba Pack Fade to Black SZ.11.5 (869610 111)
- NEW Nike Air Footscape Woven NM Sz 10 875797-005 Black bluee White
- 2008 NIKE DUNK AIR TRAINER 2 SB BLACK ROYAL blueE WHITE MAX 1 318480-041 10.5
- NWOB Nike Women’s Air Max 90 Ultra 2.0 Black and White Sneakers shoes 5US
- New Adidas Boost Icon 3 Men's Size 12 Metal Baseball Cleats White - B39165
- Adidas Originals FLB_Runner W [B28047] Women Casual shoes Pink Spirit Maroon
- Vintage Nike Air Canvas Blazer Taiwan1970 - 80's era Sz. 7 MENS 801012HT
- Nike Calcetín Dart Zapatillas 819686-300 Cargo Caqui Clásico Premium 97 Huarache
- New Balance 997 Grey Navy bluee Silver White Marblehead Foam Sz 10 MS997HGC
- PUMA Women's Vikky Mid Fashion Sneaker - Choose SZ color
- Nike Air Max 90 EZ Grey orange Navy AO1745-007 Men Size 9.5
- Deadstock New Nike Hyperdunk 2015 PRM mens size 13 army camo 749567 313 NBA
- Nike Air Jordan VII 7 Retro Hare bordeaux size 13 DS ovo xii x pe db iv banned i
- Nike Air Veer (GS) multi nike athletic Cross Trainer shoes pink athletic sneaker
- New NIKE Roshe Two Flyknit V2 Casual shoes Mens V2 khaki green 10.5
- OFF WHITE NIKE AIR MAX 90 BLACK UK SIZE 9.5 US 10.5
- Nike Dunk Sky Hi bluee Ice Hidden Wedge Sz 7.5
- Adidas Pharrell Williams Tennis Hu B41792 Triple White Unisex SZ 5-13 US Knit DS
- Adidas Filthy Quick Mid Pre-Owned Football Detachable Cleats Silver Navy Size 14
- PUMA Men's Cell Regulate Winterized Mesh Sneaker
- Asics gel lyte 5 cove size 11.5
- Nike KD VI 6 Washington DC USA Size 10 Crimson Red Obsidian blueee
- Nike Air Max Big Swoosh Basketball Red White shoes Mens Size 11.5
- Nike Kobe XI 3D Men's 10.5 Basketball Grey Crimson bluee Anthra 370 C160
- Nike Vapormax Flyknit Explorer Black Metallic Bronze Mens 7 fits Womens 8.5
- Men's Nike Air Zoom Structure 21 (obsidian bluee hero)
- Nike Women's Air Force 1 '07 ESS Athletic Snickers Running Training shoes Sz 8.5
- Adidas Yeezy Boost 350 v2 Core Black Green Olive Mens Size 12 100% Authentic
- 1 of 4
- next ›