On June 19, 2018, the Department of Justice sent ato Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton requesting answers to questions about Texas' pending request for certification for purposes of obtaining the benefits of Chapter 154 of Title 28. The questions were based largely on comments submitted in response to the Texas application. There is no specific due date for the response.
On March 20, 2018, the Supreme Court granted a stay of execution to Missouri death row inmate Russell Bucklew pending the disposition of his certiorari petition. The Chief Justice and Justices Thomas, Alito and Gorsuch would have denied the stay application. Bucklew's cert petition raises the following questions: (1) Should a court evaluating an as-applied challenge to a state’s method of execution based on an inmate’s rare and severe medical condition assume that medical personnel are competent to manage his condition and that the procedure will go as intended? (2) Must evidence comparing a state’s
On March 21, 2018, the Supreme Court issued its decision in Ayestas v. Davis, 584 U.S. ___ (March 21, 2018). This case concerns the denial of funding to a habeas petitioner. The Supreme Court assumes, without deciding, that a COA is required to appeal the denial of funds and finds that the rule applied by the district court in denying funding was not only debatable but actually erroneous. It further finds that the district court’s ruling on the funding request was not an administrative decision such that the court of appeals and the Supreme Court lacked jurisdiction to hear the appeal. Turning to the merits, the Supreme Court held that the lower courts applied the wrong legal standard when denying petitioner funds under 18 U.S.C. §3599(f). The statute authorizes funding that is “reasonably necessary” for the representation of an applicant. The Fifth Circuit’s requirement that an applicant establish a “substantial need” for the funding was arguably more demanding than the statute requires. The Fifth Circuit exacerbated the problem by invoking precedent that a habeas petitioner seeking funding must present “a viable constitutional claim that is not procedurally barred.” This precedent is too restrictive
On February 23, 2018, a complaint and request for injunctive relief was filed in the United States District Court for the District of Columbia, Texas Defender Service, et al. v. Sessions, et al., 1:18-cv-00426-RBW. This action under the Administrative Procedure Act,, 5 U.S.C. §§
551-59, 701-06, seeks injunctive and other relief to set aside the Final Rule regarding Certification Process For State Capital Counsel System, 78 Fed. Reg. 58,160-01 (Sept. 23, 2013), issued by the Department of Justice. Various comments challenging the applications of Arizona and Texas seeking certification as compliant with Chapter 154 have been submitted to the Department of Justice.
On February 26, 2018, the United States Supreme Court granted certiorari review in Madison v. Alabama, 17-7505.
The preamble to the questions presented explains: On January 25, 2018, the State seeks for the second time to execute Vernon Madison, a 67-year-old man who has been on Alabama’s death row for over 30 years. Mr. Madison suffers from vascular dementia as a result of multiple serious strokes in the last two years, and no longer has a memory of the commission of the crime for which he is to be executed. His mind and body are failing: he suffers from encephalomacia (dead brain tissue), small vesselischemia, speaks in a dysarthric or slurred manner, is legally blind, can no longer walk independently, and has urinary incontinence as a consequence of damage to his brain.
New with box: A brand-new, unused, and unworn item (including handmade items) in the original packaging (such as ... Read moreabout the condition
|Country/Region of Manufacture:||Vietnam|
On November 16, 2017, the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals reversed the district court's denial of relief on Virginia death row inmate Anthony Juniper's Brady claim and remanded for an evidentiary hearing. Juniper v. Zook, ___ F.3d ___ (4th Cir. Nov.
On November 16, 2017, the Department of Justice published in the Federal Register a notice advising the public that the State of Arizona has by the Attorney General and that public comments may be submitted to the Department of Justice regarding Arizona's request. Also on November 16, 2017, the Department of Jusice published in the Federal Register a
In Kirkpatrick v. Chappell, ___ F.3d ___ (9th Cir. Oct. 10. 2017), the majority of a three-judge panel reversed the district court's ruling that certain claims in William Kirkpatrick's federal habeas petition were unexhausted and, therefore, subject to dismissal.
In a pre-AEDPA case, Eric Kimble received habeas relief, on a claim, inter alia, of ineffective assistance of counsel at the penalty phase of Kimble's capital trial. , 2:90-cv-04826-SVW (Order Granting in Part Petition for Writ of Habeas Corpus - June 19, 2017).
We have new software for capdefnet.org that we believe will improve the usefulness of the site to the capital defense community. Please bear with us as we work through the glitches. Persons who had accounts for HAT's secure page should have received instructions for obtaining a password using the new software. Apologies for the lack of advance warnings. Please report any problems or concerns to Wendy Peoples.
- SAMPLE Nike Dunk Gyrizo BMX 330789-141 SB pigeon paris supreme denim lobster
- NIKE AIR FORCE 1 LOW – BLACK – LASER CRIMSON – ARCTIC GREEN Low Yeezy Size 10
- Nike Air Jordan 1 Retro High OG SZ 10.5 White Black 555088-100
- Nike Air Pippen Men's Sneakers Basketball shoes Max Uptempo 325001-700
- Authentic Adidas Yeezy Boost 700 Salt Sizes 10.5 - 11 -12 - 13
- NEW Womens Sz 7 ADIDAS Kanadia 7 GTX S82909 Yellow Black Trail Sneakers shoes
- New Balance Men's 510v4 Cushioning Trail Running shoes, Castlerock, 8.5 4E US
- Men 9Us Vans Style 36 Flame Frame Old School
- Nike SB Premier Dunk High Win Some Lose Some Vachetta 881758-217 Sizes 7.5-13
- Authentic Nike Air Force 1 mid
- Nike Air Footscape Magista FK FC 830600 300 Mens Trainers size 10 US Men's
- NIKE WMNS SF AIR FORCE 1 SE PRM PORT WINE Size 8 Port Wine
- Adidas Men’s Size 10.5 NMD R1 STLT Primeknit Originals Running shoes New
- Adidas Ultra Boost W Womens x GOT Game of Thrones House Lannnister Red EE3710
- NIKE Air Jordan 18 2018 Retro Sneaker shoes US 9 white AA2494 106
- Nike Lebron Soldier IX PRM FREE SHIPPING 749490-073 Oregon Ducks DS SIZE 9
- Pre-owned Sz 13 New Balance 496 Concepts Regatta CM496CP Red Turquoise Athletic
- Puma Basket Heart Denim Womens 363371-02 Halogen Twilight bluee shoes Size 10
- Nike Air Huarache Run Premium 704830-600 Dark Cayenne Men Size US 6 NEW Limited
- Nike Air Zoom Pegasus 35 Mens 942851-400 bluee Orbit Running shoes Size 8.5
- Nike SB Dunk Low OG QS BLACK DIAMOND SIZE NEW WITH BOX SIZE 10.5
- Nike Air Max Prime SL Mens Running shoes 12 Port Wine 876069 600
- Nike W BLAZER LOW SE PRM WOMENS Sneakers AA1557-200
- Brand New DS Mens Nike Air Jordan Retro 1 i Bred Toe sz 10.5 OG Black Red
- Nike Women's Air Vapormax Flyknit Grape Cool Grey White 922914 002 Size 5 New
- ADIDAS Stan Smith WC Battle Pack Men's sneakers size 10 US Black White M21780
- Adidas Originals ClimaCool 1 Lace Up Black Textile Mens Trainers BA7177 U16
- Men's Puma Cell Regulate SL shoes Dark Shadow
- Asics Tiger GSM Breeze Pink gold CNY Year of the Pig Womens shoes 1183A367-704
- Nike Kyrie 5 multi-colord Men's shoe size 10.5. Only worn a few times.
- Nike Air Jordan XXXII 32 Mens Size 9 AA1253-400 Russell Westbrook Why Not bluee
- NIKE AIR JORDAN 10 RETRO DARK SHADOW-TRUE RED-BLACK SZ 12 [310805-002] 9092563-1
- Nike AIR JORDAN XIV 14 RETRO DMP BLACK gold DEFINING MOMENT 487471-022 Size 10
- AUTHENTIC NIKE BRAATA LR MID 472644-071
- Women's NIKE LAB NSW Gaiter Boot shoes Pale Citron Black AA0528 700 250 Sz 6.5
- 2017 Nike Air Jordan 12 XII Retro CNY Size 11.5. 881427-122 Taxi 3m flu game
- 1 of 4
- next ›