On June 19, 2018, the Department of Justice sent ato Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton requesting answers to questions about Texas' pending request for certification for purposes of obtaining the benefits of Chapter 154 of Title 28. The questions were based largely on comments submitted in response to the Texas application. There is no specific due date for the response.
On March 20, 2018, the Supreme Court granted a stay of execution to Missouri death row inmate Russell Bucklew pending the disposition of his certiorari petition. The Chief Justice and Justices Thomas, Alito and Gorsuch would have denied the stay application. Bucklew's cert petition raises the following questions: (1) Should a court evaluating an as-applied challenge to a state’s method of execution based on an inmate’s rare and severe medical condition assume that medical personnel are competent to manage his condition and that the procedure will go as intended? (2) Must evidence comparing a state’s
On March 21, 2018, the Supreme Court issued its decision in Ayestas v. Davis, 584 U.S. ___ (March 21, 2018). This case concerns the denial of funding to a habeas petitioner. The Supreme Court assumes, without deciding, that a COA is required to appeal the denial of funds and finds that the rule applied by the district court in denying funding was not only debatable but actually erroneous. It further finds that the district court’s ruling on the funding request was not an administrative decision such that the court of appeals and the Supreme Court lacked jurisdiction to hear the appeal. Turning to the merits, the Supreme Court held that the lower courts applied the wrong legal standard when denying petitioner funds under 18 U.S.C. §3599(f). The statute authorizes funding that is “reasonably necessary” for the representation of an applicant. The Fifth Circuit’s requirement that an applicant establish a “substantial need” for the funding was arguably more demanding than the statute requires. The Fifth Circuit exacerbated the problem by invoking precedent that a habeas petitioner seeking funding must present “a viable constitutional claim that is not procedurally barred.” This precedent is too restrictive
On February 23, 2018, a complaint and request for injunctive relief was filed in the United States District Court for the District of Columbia, Texas Defender Service, et al. v. Sessions, et al., 1:18-cv-00426-RBW. This action under the Administrative Procedure Act,, 5 U.S.C. §§
551-59, 701-06, seeks injunctive and other relief to set aside the Final Rule regarding Certification Process For State Capital Counsel System, 78 Fed. Reg. 58,160-01 (Sept. 23, 2013), issued by the Department of Justice. Various comments challenging the applications of Arizona and Texas seeking certification as compliant with Chapter 154 have been submitted to the Department of Justice.
On February 26, 2018, the United States Supreme Court granted certiorari review in Madison v. Alabama, 17-7505.
The preamble to the questions presented explains: On January 25, 2018, the State seeks for the second time to execute Vernon Madison, a 67-year-old man who has been on Alabama’s death row for over 30 years. Mr. Madison suffers from vascular dementia as a result of multiple serious strokes in the last two years, and no longer has a memory of the commission of the crime for which he is to be executed. His mind and body are failing: he suffers from encephalomacia (dead brain tissue), small vesselischemia, speaks in a dysarthric or slurred manner, is legally blind, can no longer walk independently, and has urinary incontinence as a consequence of damage to his brain.
New with box: A brand-new, unused, and unworn item (including handmade items) in the original packaging (such as ... Read moreabout the condition
|Size:||3.5, 4, 4.5, 5, 6, 7, 7.5, 8, 8.5, 9, 9.5, 10|
|Upper Material:||Patent Leather|
On November 16, 2017, the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals reversed the district court's denial of relief on Virginia death row inmate Anthony Juniper's Brady claim and remanded for an evidentiary hearing. Juniper v. Zook, ___ F.3d ___ (4th Cir. Nov.
On November 16, 2017, the Department of Justice published in the Federal Register a notice advising the public that the State of Arizona has by the Attorney General and that public comments may be submitted to the Department of Justice regarding Arizona's request. Also on November 16, 2017, the Department of Jusice published in the Federal Register a
In Kirkpatrick v. Chappell, ___ F.3d ___ (9th Cir. Oct. 10. 2017), the majority of a three-judge panel reversed the district court's ruling that certain claims in William Kirkpatrick's federal habeas petition were unexhausted and, therefore, subject to dismissal.
In a pre-AEDPA case, Eric Kimble received habeas relief, on a claim, inter alia, of ineffective assistance of counsel at the penalty phase of Kimble's capital trial. , 2:90-cv-04826-SVW (Order Granting in Part Petition for Writ of Habeas Corpus - June 19, 2017).
We have new software for capdefnet.org that we believe will improve the usefulness of the site to the capital defense community. Please bear with us as we work through the glitches. Persons who had accounts for HAT's secure page should have received instructions for obtaining a password using the new software. Apologies for the lack of advance warnings. Please report any problems or concerns to Wendy Peoples.
- Nike Dunk High Premium SB RESN Skunk Statue Of Liberty Supreme Blazers Low B
- Nike Men's Free Run Flyknit 2018 Size 9.5 D
- NIKE AIR MAX MODERN ESSENTIAL 44-47.5 NEW ultra bw tavas sequent one 1 90
- Nike Air Jordan 7 VII Retro Marvin the Martian SZ 10 ( 304775-029 )
- Nike MEN'S Air Jordan 1 Retro High OG blueE MOON SIZE 12.5 BRAND NEW
- NIKE SB STEFAN JANOSKI SIZE 8 MAX BLACK SUEDE LEATHER CYBER WHITE
- NEW Nike Women’s Air Max 95 LX Satin Terry NSW Red White Size 9.5 US AA1103 601
- Nike Air Jordan XI 11 Retro 2000 2001 OG DS NEW NIB SPACE JAM size 11.5 Concord
- New Balance Trainers. New Balance Numeric PJ Stratford 533 Burgundy Suede shoes
- Vans Monochrome Era shoes Classic Sneakers White VN0A38FRVOY US Size 4-13
- Adidas Men's Aerobounce Pr M Running shoes
- Adidas Energy Cloud Wtc W BB3167 orange halfshoes
- New Balance 997 Black White Grey Silver bluee Fresh Foam Sz 9 MS997HGA
- Jordan 1 Retro LOW from japan (5429
- SALE NIKE AIR PRESTO ESSENTIAL UNIVERSITY RED MIDNIGHT NAVY WHITE 848187 606 NEW
- VANS OLD SKOOL FLAME [SZ 10] BLACK WHITE RED LOW REISSUE SUPREME WTAP YELLOW
- Size 8 Men's Nike Sock Dart Highlighter Athletic Light Weight 833124 800 orange
- Nike Dunk High Premium SB Northern Lights 313171-063 Size 11.5 Yeezy
- Nike Air Foamposite One White Out White Metallic Silver 314996-100 9.5 ds
- Nike Force Zoom Trout 5 Turf shoes AH3374-161 Red White Sz 10 NEW awesome deal
- Nike Jordan Hightop Teal Mens Basketball 13 Flights
- NIKE Womens Air Zoom Dynamic Mesh Trainers
- NEW IN BOX MENS ADIDAS ORIGINALS TUBULAR SHADOW CK BLACK SNEAKER CQ0930 SZ 7-12
- AUTHENTIC adidas Originals Falcon Suede White White White B28128 WHT Women size
- New Balance - MRL247D5 shoes Running Zapatillas Deportivas Tiempo Libre
- Nike Zoom Vaporfly 4% Flyknit Gyakusou Team Red US 13 AV7998-600 Run
- Nike 852930 Mens Metcon DSX Flyknit Cross Training Running shoes Sneakers
- NIKE HYPERIZE ALL STAR WEST 2010 RED SIZE 11
- 2018 Nike Air Jordan 3 Retro size 14. Chlgoldphyll. Grey Green Sail. 136064-006.
- Nike Kyrie 3 III EP Finals White gold Size 9. 852395-902 jordan kobe
- ASICS Mens Gel-Foundation Workplace (4E) Work Duty Athletic & Sneakers White
- Nike Tanjun Men's shoes Navy White Game Royal 812654-414
- NIKE AIR FORCE 1 MID ‘07 BLACK MENS BASKETBALL SHOE SIZE 10.5 (315123-022)
- Authentic size 11 Adidas Cream White Running White Human Race Pharrell NMDs
- Adidas Pure Boost RBL LTD Size 11
- Adidas Neo Tela Vlneo women shoes da Ginnastica Mid Lifestyle Estive Fucsia 40
- C-1344 New Puma Drift Cat 6 Black Leather Sneakers shoes Size US 8
- Asics gel lyte v Romance Pack Valentine’s Day pinks (H504K-2301) Red black white
- Nike Zoom Fly Mercurial X Off-White – Black – US 7
- Nike Air Jordan 4 IV Retro LS Black Oreo Tech Grey Cement MENS RRP VGC
- Nike Free Huarache Canivore SP - 801759 001
- Nike Air Max 1 wmns Obsidian og 6.5 7,5 41 red atmos patta pinnacle id se jewel
- 05 Nike Air Jordan X 10 Retro White Black Steel Stealth Grey Red 310805-101 10.5
- NIKE SIZE 9.5 SB BLAZER ZOOM MID XT BLACK METALLIC-WINTER 876872-006
- Nike Wmns Classic Cortez Nylon Barely Grey White 749864-008 Women's shoes Size 9
- 100% Authentic Adidas Yeezy 350 V2 Black Red sz 8 DS
- NIKE AIR CHARLES BARKLEY POSITE MAX blueE SIXERS 76ERS FIRE FOAMPOSITE CB34 11.5
- NIKE SHOX GRAVITY ATMOSPHERE GREY BLACK AR1999 011 MENS SHOES US 9.5 NEW
- SUPREME x Nike SB AF2 Low orange Blaze White Size 9.5 AA0871-818 New NIB
- NIKE AIR MAX 1 PREMIUM QS (9,5US)
- NIKE AIR FOAMPOSITE PRO PRM ELEPHANT PRINT MEN SIZE 11.5 616750-002
- Adidas Tubular Doom Sock Sneakers - Burgundy - Mens
- Adidas VS Pace Mens Sneakers Black & White B74494 Size 10.5
- NEW Puma x Coogi California shoes bluee Atoll Black Size 11.5 New Without Box
- UNDEFEATED x Asics Gel-Lyte V Black White UNDFTD US10,5 H62JK-9001 2016
- 1 of 4
- next ›