On June 19, 2018, the Department of Justice sent ato Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton requesting answers to questions about Texas' pending request for certification for purposes of obtaining the benefits of Chapter 154 of Title 28. The questions were based largely on comments submitted in response to the Texas application. There is no specific due date for the response.
On March 20, 2018, the Supreme Court granted a stay of execution to Missouri death row inmate Russell Bucklew pending the disposition of his certiorari petition. The Chief Justice and Justices Thomas, Alito and Gorsuch would have denied the stay application. Bucklew's cert petition raises the following questions: (1) Should a court evaluating an as-applied challenge to a state’s method of execution based on an inmate’s rare and severe medical condition assume that medical personnel are competent to manage his condition and that the procedure will go as intended? (2) Must evidence comparing a state’s
On March 21, 2018, the Supreme Court issued its decision in Ayestas v. Davis, 584 U.S. ___ (March 21, 2018). This case concerns the denial of funding to a habeas petitioner. The Supreme Court assumes, without deciding, that a COA is required to appeal the denial of funds and finds that the rule applied by the district court in denying funding was not only debatable but actually erroneous. It further finds that the district court’s ruling on the funding request was not an administrative decision such that the court of appeals and the Supreme Court lacked jurisdiction to hear the appeal. Turning to the merits, the Supreme Court held that the lower courts applied the wrong legal standard when denying petitioner funds under 18 U.S.C. §3599(f). The statute authorizes funding that is “reasonably necessary” for the representation of an applicant. The Fifth Circuit’s requirement that an applicant establish a “substantial need” for the funding was arguably more demanding than the statute requires. The Fifth Circuit exacerbated the problem by invoking precedent that a habeas petitioner seeking funding must present “a viable constitutional claim that is not procedurally barred.” This precedent is too restrictive
On February 23, 2018, a complaint and request for injunctive relief was filed in the United States District Court for the District of Columbia, Texas Defender Service, et al. v. Sessions, et al., 1:18-cv-00426-RBW. This action under the Administrative Procedure Act,, 5 U.S.C. §§
551-59, 701-06, seeks injunctive and other relief to set aside the Final Rule regarding Certification Process For State Capital Counsel System, 78 Fed. Reg. 58,160-01 (Sept. 23, 2013), issued by the Department of Justice. Various comments challenging the applications of Arizona and Texas seeking certification as compliant with Chapter 154 have been submitted to the Department of Justice.
On February 26, 2018, the United States Supreme Court granted certiorari review in Madison v. Alabama, 17-7505.
The preamble to the questions presented explains: On January 25, 2018, the State seeks for the second time to execute Vernon Madison, a 67-year-old man who has been on Alabama’s death row for over 30 years. Mr. Madison suffers from vascular dementia as a result of multiple serious strokes in the last two years, and no longer has a memory of the commission of the crime for which he is to be executed. His mind and body are failing: he suffers from encephalomacia (dead brain tissue), small vesselischemia, speaks in a dysarthric or slurred manner, is legally blind, can no longer walk independently, and has urinary incontinence as a consequence of damage to his brain.
New without box: A brand-new, unused, and unworn item (including handmade items) that is not in original packaging or ... Read moreabout the condition
|Shade:||Black-Bright Crimson-Fiberglass-Vvd Sl||US Shoe Size (Men's):||18|
Does not apply
On November 16, 2017, the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals reversed the district court's denial of relief on Virginia death row inmate Anthony Juniper's Brady claim and remanded for an evidentiary hearing. Juniper v. Zook, ___ F.3d ___ (4th Cir. Nov.
On November 16, 2017, the Department of Justice published in the Federal Register a notice advising the public that the State of Arizona has by the Attorney General and that public comments may be submitted to the Department of Justice regarding Arizona's request. Also on November 16, 2017, the Department of Jusice published in the Federal Register a
In Kirkpatrick v. Chappell, ___ F.3d ___ (9th Cir. Oct. 10. 2017), the majority of a three-judge panel reversed the district court's ruling that certain claims in William Kirkpatrick's federal habeas petition were unexhausted and, therefore, subject to dismissal.
In a pre-AEDPA case, Eric Kimble received habeas relief, on a claim, inter alia, of ineffective assistance of counsel at the penalty phase of Kimble's capital trial. , 2:90-cv-04826-SVW (Order Granting in Part Petition for Writ of Habeas Corpus - June 19, 2017).
We have new software for capdefnet.org that we believe will improve the usefulness of the site to the capital defense community. Please bear with us as we work through the glitches. Persons who had accounts for HAT's secure page should have received instructions for obtaining a password using the new software. Apologies for the lack of advance warnings. Please report any problems or concerns to Wendy Peoples.
- Nike Air Jordan 12 Black Varsity Red XII's Size 9.5 1997' 130690 061
- Mens Nike SHOX GRAVITY Running shoes Metallic gold -AQ8553 009 -Sz 6 New
- 2018 Nike Classic Cortez 15 Nylon QS Muted Bronze SAMPLE Sz. 9 Kenny 807472-203
- Nike Mens Air Jordan Legacy 312 NRG Just Don White Black-Volt AQ4160-107
- Nike Air Jordan Retro 11 XI Platinum Tint Sail University Red White 378037 016
- Nike Kobe X 10 Black Teal Size 11.5 Mens Basketball shoes
- Adidas Originals BW Avenue Mens Womens Trainers Lace Up shoes White BZ0504 U40
- PUMA Mens One 17.4 FG Soccer-shoes- Pick SZ color.
- Asics Tiger Hyper Gel-Lyte, Mid Grey Mid Grey
- 24 Nike Zoom XC 4 Cross Country Racing Spikes Mens Sz 6-8 (7.5-9.5) 878804 663
- Nike Womens Air Max 90 Ultra 2.0 Low Top Lace Up Running Sneaker
- Adidas NMD_C2 Men’s Size 12
- Adidas ULTRA Boost Parley Stella McCartney Womens SZ 10.5 BB6264 NEW NR
- Balance Men's Lazr V2 Fresh Foam Running shoes Black neon Emerald 9.5 2E US
- PUMA PULSE XT CORE RUNNING SNEAKERS WOMEN SHOES WHITE 188558-08 SIZE 10 NEW
- DS NEW AIR JORDAN MTM PACK SZ MNS 9 (802398 900) LIMITED ED
- Nike Zoom Terra Kiger 2 Mens Running Trainers shoes Cool Grey White
- Nike Zoom Kd9 Elite Nl Us11 Eu45 pink Perlato Polvere Kevin 914692 600
- Nike Air Max 95 Essential shoes men Sneakers Casual Esterno bluee 749766-400
- Nike Kobe 10 X low Vino Size 14. 705317-333. Green Black Red. bhm all-star 9 IX
- Nike Air Force High Terminator Hi Supreme iD Quikestrike Neon sz 10 HUF Dunk wow
- Nike Mercurial Mens shoes Vintage look Size 8.5 2012
- Adidas yeezy boost 700 static
- Adidas Crazy Explosive PK Primeknit Kristaps Porzingis G25780 Sz.10. 5
- Nike Air Max 95 Premium Sneakers White Size 8 9 10 11 12 Mens shoes New
- Nike Hyperdunk 2017 Low Racer blueee orange Pulse (897663-401) Size 15 A0800PM
- Nike Air Max Zero SE Black Red White Men's Sneaker Size 13
- Womens ADIDAS SAMBApink W Pink Trainers B28164
- New Balance Men's 574 Sport Sneakers Black
- Puma Womens Ignite Dual Netfit Multisport Outdoor shoes, Purple Black 6 UK
- NDS NIKE AIR JORDAN 2 (II) RETRO WING IT RARE & COLLECTIBLE SZ 11.5
- Nike Air Jordan Retro 11 Space Jam Sz US 10.5 378037 003 BRAND NEW IN BOX
- New Mens Nike Downshifter 7 Running shoes Black Metallic Hematite 8.5 852459 001
- Nike Air Max Stutter Step 2 Basketball shoes Anthracite Volt Blk Hypr PinK Sz 11
- ADIDAS T-MAC 6 FW06 MAUI INVITATIONAL NCAA UCLA McGrady Mc Grady Tmac
- Adidas x BAIT EQT Running Support “Big Apple” 10 Superstar Boost
- Adidas EQT Support RF Running shoes White Black Sz 12 BB1995
- Nike SF AIR FORCE 1 MID Light Brown Size 7 8 9 10 11 12 Mens shoes 917753-003
- Nike SF AF1 HI PRM White Camo High Special Field Air Force 1 Size 9.5
- Nike Men's KD Trey 5 V Basketball shoes Wolf Grey Cool Grey Size 10
- Nike Air Shake Ndestrukt Dennis Rodman bluee White 943020-400
- Nike Kobe X EASTER 12 xmas bhm elite all star prelude olympic gold LAKERS WTK kd
- Nike Dunk Low CL Obsidian bluee White Red-Black 11.5
- New Balance Men's 990v4 Boot - Choose SZ color
- Asics Game Set Match, Unisex shoes for Adult 1183A039-250
- 1 of 4
- next ›